2.28.2007

Ten Days Trip

Getting down from the plane I took.
I breathe the air, feel the land, everything’s still so familiar.
I come back to my nation, with a cheerful heart.

During the New Year, my family decided to take a trip to the place that I never consider about.
Kenya, where is located in East Africa.
Why we choose Kenya as the place we go travel?
I think, it’s the dream, my dad’s dream, and the dream I had also.
When I was a girl, I formed a hobby watching programs like National Geography, or Discovery Channel. I was fascinated by the scene of vast and extensive grass. The sky and the land seem to merge. It arouses my interest and cultivates the heart that close to the Big Nature.
My dad told me, someday we must go to Africa to see real animals, to touch real life.
When I saw black people smiling at me, said welcome to me, I knew, the dream comes true.


Sitting on the van. Driving along the streets. Black people are always lovely and passionate. They run when our car drives. They greet when our car passes by. I saw happiness on their faces. I felt sincerity when I looked into their eyes.
I touch the real life. And the real life touches me.


After a long-distance flight. We went to Amboseli National Park. It’s a park that is famous for its big herds of elephants. Sufficient food, refreshing water, and fresh air are reasons why animals there are healthy. We saw big herds of elephants, about fifty a group, with lots of baby ones. They spent all day eating grass leisurely. It’s completely a different feeling to see animals so near ourselves. I felt I became part of them, and I was touched by the scene when they look so happy without worry and sorrow.


The second spot we went to is Mountain Kenya. Mt. Kenya is about five thousand feet. Top of the mountain is always snowing. We’re lucky that day, big sun shinning without fog. We saw the peak clearly appeared. The temperature there varies greatly between day and night. The lodge we lived in has a big pong, letting animals rest and place to stay. We can stay in our room, watching buffalo, deer, and birds from the big window. It’s like we just live our lives next to the Big Nature.



The third one is Samburu, a place like dessert. Sun extremely hot, the air we breathe is like fire burning in our noses. We saw nothing there, because the temperature is too high, animals afraid of the heat, they all hide themselves into the bush. At night, the sky is full of shinning stars. The Polestar twinkling in the sky. We clearly saw the Milky way, like a silky ribbon fall from the dark night.


Later days we went to Nakuru National Park to see the famous Flamingo. There’s still a distance between our car and the lake where flamingo rest. But the most amazing is, we saw the big lake not a green or blue one, but a PINK! It really frightened me, and confused also. I thought that the pink color is just some wooden roof of houses. But after we got near, I knew I wrong. hundreds of thousand of flamingo standing in the lake. Some of them are eating, some are resting. This big group covers the lake wholly. We’re appealed by this scene and couldn’t tell a word. No kidding, our Zoo is nothing compared with Africa’s.

The fifth stop is the last one, Masai Mara National Park. This park is the most well-known. People say that, if you go to Masai Mara, you don’t need to go to other Parks. It’s true, when we’re game driving, we saw lots of gazelles, wildebeests, zebras, giraffes…, not only meek animals but beasts also. There are eight female lions eating buffalo, we saw the white bones and the teeth. The lions tear its fur and skin. Everyone just stared but said nothing. It’s how the life dies, and how the life going. Just next to the female lion group. We saw a lion couple, lying in the grass. They just finished their meal. The male one put his paw on his wife’s back. The view is just like they are giving each other a big hug. It’s like a sweet couple enjoying their own time.


Besides the several National Parks, we still went to Masai people’s village for visiting. Masai people construct their own house using dry cow down. Their house is about one hundred forty centimeters tall. Why they make their house so tiny so short because Kenya’s big ground often has twisters and cyclones. It’s easy to destroy their house if they have taller building. So they have their sites smaller and stronger, let the house can stand stably. Masai people’s main food is cattle’s blood, milk, and beef. They only eat meat, but no vegetables. That’s why they are so strong and tall, but not live so longer like normal human being. It’s a special experience to meet the local aborigine. I saw the different life style, how they live, how they learn. And take them to compare to ourselves. They still have their own culture. But what the pity is, they know if they allow foreigners to visit their house, they can earn amount of money. It slowly changes their way to earn their bread. It’s not a good phenomenon. We should protect the thing we still own, not let the culture became a regret in our world.


Just upon writing my articles, some feelings haunting in my mind.
I think, I miss the people, I miss the landscapes, I miss Kenya.
There’s nothing can compare, and nothing can replace.
I swear, and I believe, I will always remember,
Kenya, the place that I once deeply fell in loved with.

2 comments:

b9542022lyntton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
b9542022lyntton said...

Ten days trip sounds really nice
you can have a drama called "how to lose a guy in 10 days"
It will be fantasic !
Especially when you're in it !